Artists in the House is a new funding initiative from the Department of Culture and the Arts to support the engagement of professional performing artists and arts workers for residencies at WA regional performing arts venues and entertainment centres.
A total of $315,000 from the Royalties for Regions-funded Creative Regions program has been allocated for distribution through Artists in House over the next two years.
Funding is available for research, planning and/or delivery of residencies that will:
- activate spaces at the regional venue;
- increase opportunities for community participation in arts and cultural activities at the venue; and/or
- contribute to the sustainability of the regional venues and performing arts touring ecology in WA.
Applications are open to Regional Local Government Authorities (LGAs) or not-for-profit organisations that own or operate eligible performing arts or entertainment venues in regional WA.
Venues that will host the artist-in-residence must be:
- located in regional WA;
- primarily delivering performing arts and entertainment services and activities; and
- have the capacity to receive and or produce touring performing arts productions.
The artist/s that will be engaged to undertake the residency at the regional venue must be:
- based in Western Australia; OR
- working in collaboration with Western Australian artists, arts companies, organisations or festivals.
Residencies that involve collaborations with, or between any of the following parties will be highly regarded:
- regional artists
- small-to-medium or independent arts organisations or artists
- Major Performing Arts Companies
- Culture and Arts Portfolio agencies; AND/OR
- national or international artists, arts companies, organisations or festivals.
Applications open in February 2017.