Today, CircuitWest announced the short list of nominees selected for the Pinnacle Performing Arts Awards for the Western Australian Producer of the Year.
The Award celebrates the best in the live performance industry in Western Australia and recognises excellent work done in building inclusive, thriving communities enlivened with rich cultural expression and engagement.
The three nominees chosen by the selection panel are:
- Yirra Yaakin – nominated for many things including their 2020 premiere ‘Hecate’; a triumph in long term planning, artistic rigour and authenticity.
- Libby Klysz – nominated for many things including making work happen against the odds and strongly advocating for indie theatre and dance in Perth.
- Sensorium Theatre – nominated for many things especially their unique commitment to creating amazing work for children of diverse access needs.
According to CircuitWest Executive Director Ryan Taaffe, there were many nominations recognising great achievements despite such a tumultuous year.
“With the criteria for the awards as ‘excellence’ in all its forms, we saw many industry peers nominate high quality major, small to medium and independent organisations.
“CircuitWest is delighted to see so many talented WA producers creating so much world class work that speaks to audiences across Western Australia and beyond.”
Nominations were based on anything nominators felt met the principal criteria of excellence, such as a tour they have delivered, an outstanding production, or a collaboration.
The presentation of the awards will take place at WA Showcase on 11 November at the Subiaco Arts Centre.
About the finalists
- Yirra Yaakin Theatre Company: Yirra Yaakin means “Stand Tall” in Noongar. Based in the heart of the Noongar Nation – a distinct Aboriginal cultural group from the south-west of Western Australia – Yirra Yaakin is Australia’s biggest Aboriginal-led theatre company.
- Libby Klysz: Libby is a performer, director, manager, and producer and heads up contemporary theatre group Variegated Productions. Her credits include the award-winning 2019 productions BANG! BANG! (producer) and Feminah (director).
- Sensorium Theatre: Sensorium Theatre sparks the imaginations of young people with access needs by creating custom made sensory theatre experiences. Their audiences can see, hear, smell, touch and taste the story as it unfolds around them.
Media Contact : Sam Lynch 0419971713 email@example.com