DivaLicious – Opera Rocks!
Comedy and innuendo as pop, opera & musical theatre are given the DivaLicious treatment...From Mozart to Mamma Mia, Queen to Queen of the Night anything goes!
Penny Shaw & Fiona Cooper Smyth play the duelling divas; competing not only for the top notes but also for handsome baritone Robert “The Phantom” Hofmann’s affection! Opera’s greatest hits are given the DivaLicious treatment, accompanied by “perfection on piano”, David Wickham. This fully-staged, fast paced and highly original show changes mood and genre almost as frequently as the girls change their fabulous frocks; from Mozart to Mamma Mia, from Queen of the Night to Queen, anything goes!
Form and Style
The show is a cabaret style show, delivered directly to the audience, no 4th wall. Very little script, mostly music and physical theatre. It has been described as “great wads of comedy slapped between two gorgeous divas”, these sensational sopranos, (who were finalists on Australia’s Got Talent in 2012), have a healthy rivalry, competing not only for the top notes but also for Robert “The Phantom” Hofmann’s affection throughout the show. Fully-staged, fast paced and highly original, the show changes mood and genre almost as frequently as the girls change their fabulous frocks with Penny and Fiona delivering heart-rending duets, moving the audience from side-splitting laughter to tears of poignancy and back again.
Community and Audience Engagement:
1. Whether you are a fan of opera or not, you will love this feel-good show.
2. It’s not just opera but a mix of comedy, musical theatre, and popular hits too!
3. Ben Elton loves the show and said that it’s “Dramatic, funny, even poignant. A treat for those who love good singing and a good laugh!”
4. It had a sell-out season at Fringe World 20913 and 2015, and has received outstanding reviews – including from the Adelaide Fringe Festival
5. DivaLicious has been in the finals of Australia’s Got Talent.
6. All singers are highly experienced opera singers from West Australian Opera. (Penny Shaw was Carlotta in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera in the UK).
7. It’s a fully staged theatrical show with multiple costume changes.
8. The music ranges from Mozart to Mamma Mia; Queen of the Night to Queen, as the girls compete for the spotlight, the top notes and the baritone’s affection!
9. It’s “a show-stopping act from start to finish! Great wads of comedy slapped between two divas!” Jackson B Sutcliff, lyricist
10. Book to see this show – you will love it and want to tell your friends about it!
Media releases, photos, videos, larger social media following, posters, logos, artwork and more.
“Fiona Cooper Smyth and Penny Shaw had me in stitches as they rolled out one hilarious musical tableau after another. Perfect for opera newbies as well as aficionados who relish ﬁne singing but just want a good laugh now and again. Loved it.” –William Yeoman (The West Australian, Books Editor and Arts Writer)
“Two rival sopranos! Dramatic, funny, even poignant. A treat for those who love good singing and a good laugh. Go Divalicious!” –Ben Elton on DivaLicious – Opera Rocks!
“The continuously entertaining and frequently laugh-out-loud show was obviously thoroughly relished by all present.” -SeeSaw Magazine 2020
Previously performed at:
Government House Ballroom 2020
Dangrove Gallery, Sydney 2019
Sydney Opera House 2015
Adelaide Fringe, The Garden of Unearthly Delights, 2015
Fringe World Festival 2012, 2014 (Best Cabaret Nominations)
CAST Penny Shaw, Fiona Cooper Smyth, Robert Hofmann
MUSICAL DIRECTOR – David Wickham OR Tommaso Pollio
ArtformsCabaret, Comedy, Musical Theatre, Opera
AudienceWe find our ticket buying audience is 50 plus, probably 60% women, lovers of lighter classical music, Andre Rieu and Andre Bocelli
DurationEither 1 hour no interval OR 2 slightly longer halves, first half 40 mins, second half 35 mins.
Bump InBump In: 3 hours, Bump Out: 1 hour
Costs- Weekly Fee: $9,000*
- Cost per performance: $4,500*
- No remount
- No royalties
*Above fees do not include touring costs
Company ContactsPenny Shaw
0409 886 522
Venue FormatAll possible
Show Warnings: Nil
First possible performance: 2 hours after bump in
Minimum break between shows: 1 hour
Minimum stage width: 4 metres
Minimum stage depth: 3 metres
Minimum stage height: Nil
Staging and Set Description: Piano, small table, lots of red velvet
Lighting to be provided by the venue: Whatever is available
Audio provided by the company: None, can bring own keyboard
Audio to be provided by the venue: Depends on acoustics, can be done with NO microphone OR with 2 headset and 1 hand-held or with 3 hand-held cordless mics.
No. of additional staff to be provided by the venue: 2 staff, 4 hour call for each
Dressing Rooms Required: 1 female, 1 male preferred
Other technical notes: Quick change area is needed