About the Venue
The Old Mill Theatre is fortunate to be operating out of one of the most historic buildings in South Perth. It was opened in 1899 as a Mechanics Institute Hall. South Perth Council bought the building in 1913 and renamed it the Mends Street Hall. The council still owns the building, and supports our use of it, re-dedicating it formally to the Old Mill Theatre in 2009. The building first became a home of theatre in 1948, when the South Perth Dramatic Society moved in. The name Old Mill Theatre was first used in 1958, and the company was incorporated in 1959. In 2009, the theatre celebrated its 60th anniversary.
The Old Mill Theatre is fortunate to have strong support from the City of South Perth. The city undertook major renovations to the exterior of the building in 2008 and the theatre is looking better now than ever before.
We are a not-for-profit organisation. Our directors, actors and other staff do what they do because of a love for theatre – we are all volunteers. We’re very proud of the reputation that we have earned for putting on some of the best live theatre in Perth.